Off the Lip 2020
Conference on Cognitive Innovation for Sustainable Development
24 -25 January 2020, UP Open University Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines
Sustainable development requires multidisciplinary, innovative research approaches to investigate the nested, complex and evolving subsystems of nature, economy and society, as well as multi-sector engagement to realize innovative, relevant solutions.
Off the Lip 2020 is a two-day research event that seeks to showcase radically multidisciplinary, multisectoral, and creative approaches to addressing the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The goal of the conference is to bring together researchers from diverse disciplines (e.g., environmental scientists, human geographers, and cognitive scientists) and across sectors (government, industry, academia, and NGOs) to address challenges in sustainable development. The conference aims in particular to highlight the role that cognitive science and Cognitive Innovation might play in addressing sustainable development issues.
A continuation of the successful Off the Lip research event series, Off the Lip 2020 is being jointly organized by the UP Open University, the University of Plymouth, the CogNovo Foundation, and partners from industry and civic society.
Call for Proposals
Researchers from academia, government, industry, and civic society are invited to present original theoretical, empirical, and practice-based research papers in areas including (but not limited to) the following:
- Interdisciplinary research on Sustainable Development Challenges through the lens of Cognitive Innovation and its related sub-themes, which include but are not limited to creativity, cognition, education, decision-making, behavioral change, theories of change, computational simulation and modelling, neurobiology, artificial intelligence, emerging information and communication technologies.
- Cognitive science for sustainable development research and action
- From cell to society: autopoiesis and self-organizing systems for positive change
- Kickstarting a self-sustaining culture of curiosity and lifelong learning
- Potential contributions of space research to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Moving forward together: intergenerational knowledge-creation, interactions, and relationships
- Kusa: self-determination, self-initiative, and agency
- Cognitive biomimicry: drawing inspiration from non-human animal cognition and social organization for human development
- Cognitive scientific approaches to class, identity, and culture
- Psychological and cognitive scientific approaches to deception, trickery, and corruption
- Cross-disciplinary endeavors: art/science/humanities/technology/design collaborations
- Practices in building interdisciplinary environments to achieve sustainable development goals
We particularly welcome submissions related to the six ColLaboratoire 2020 topics:
- Facing the aging population
- Addressing compassion fatigue
- Developing environmental empathy
- Fixing social media
- Igniting education
- Reimagining sustainability
Proposals will be accepted for oral presentations (theoretical or experimental work that will be presented in 15 minutes plus 5 minutes for questions) or posters (work that can be easily conveyed in visual/graphical form).
Selected papers will be published in a special issue of AVANT. Trends in Interdisciplinary Studies (ISSN 2082-6710), a peer-reviewed, open access, international journal indexed in Web of Science (Emerging Sources Citation Index), Scopus, and EBSCO Publishing, among others.
15 December 2019: Registration closes
10 December 2019: Submission of Revised Abstract Draft of Full Paper (Optional)
23 January 2020: Preconference workshop
24 January 2020: Conference (Day 1)
25 January 2020: Conference (Day 2)